AOD and the Brain - Part 2
The AOD and the Brain Virtual Classroom consists of two interactive Zoom workshops. These two sessions can be completed in any order. Completion of both Zoom workshops of AOD and the
The AOD and the Brain Virtual Classroom consists of two interactive Zoom workshops. These two sessions can be completed in any order. Completion of both Zoom workshops of AOD and the Brain is a pre-requisite learning to the Assessing and Managing Withdrawal Virtual Classrooms. Please allow up to 3 hours for this workshop.
AOD and the Brain provides a basic understanding of how drugs, enter and travel through the body to exert their impact upon the brain. It will also explore the processes the body employs as a response to substance use. It will build knowledge within this area and improve the confidence and ability of the clinician to use the information to enhance client knowledge. This transfer of knowledge will go towards educating and empowering the client to improve their health outcomes.
The topics this workshop covers include:
- An understanding of the differing routes of administration for substances.
- An understanding of how differing routes may impact the experience and risk profiles for substances.
- An understanding of a Half-Life and how this may be useful for a clinician.
- How the body breaks down and removes substances and factors that may influence this process.
- An overview of the process commonly referred to as the reward pathway.
This session will provide an understanding of pharmacokinetics or what the body does in response to the drug, and look at absorption, distribution, metabolism and elimination.
It will also provide further information on the development of dependence and the withdrawal process.
Pre-requisite: AOD and the Brain Part 1 Virtual Classroom.
(Thursday) 9:00 am - 12:00 pm