Supporting alcohol-free pregnancy and breastfeeding
This course enables health professionals to provide accurate information and advice on alcohol-free pregnancy and safe breastfeeding.
This course aims to give healthcare professionals the tools, information and confidence to discuss alcohol use in a non-judgemental way with patients who are planning a pregnancy, are already pregnant or breastfeeding.
This course is part of the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education’s (FARE’s) Every Moment Matters, the National Awareness Campaign for Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Women.
The content is based on the National Health and Medical Research Council’s Australian guidelines to reduce health risks from drinking alcohol and has been developed in collaboration with health professionals and experts in the field.
The course is case based and includes video and self-paced online learning modules. The topics covered include:
- Pregnancy and alcohol
- Summary of the evidence
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Brief intervention and motivational interviewing
- Alcohol and breastfeeding
1.5 hours of learning
This course has been designed primarily for General Practitioners, Obstetricians, Midwives and Nurses, however it is suitable for all Health Professionals relevant to a person’s pregnancy journey.
At the conclusion of this course participants will be equipped to:
- Recognise the latest evidence about the risks of alcohol consumption during pregnancy and when planning pregnancy, including at low consumption levels.
- Describe the impacts of alcohol at all phases of pregnancy, including the early weeks.
- Implement the validated AUDIT-C tool for assessing alcohol consumption during pregnancy
- Implement positive reinforcement, brief intervention or referral according to the assessed level of risk
- Discuss advice about alcohol during pregnancy or planning pregnancy that is consistent with the Alcohol Guidelines.
RACGP – Activity ID: 354695 – 3 Activity Points
ACRRM – Activity ID: 26728 – PDP – 1 Educational Activity
Australian College of Midwives CPD Endorsed Activity
RANZCOG – Approved for RANZCOG CPD July 2022 to Dec 2023
This course is bought to you by the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) and is part of Every Moment Matters, the National Awareness Campaign for Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Women. This project is endorsed and funded by the Australian Government.
More information links
October 4 (Tuesday) 12:00 am