Creating suicide safer communities
CCQ is working with our local communities and service providers to achieve better outcomes on suicide prevention for communities.
The following organisations are funded by the PHN to provide local leadership and coordinated efforts on suicide prevention:
- Central Queensland Rural Health in the Central Queensland area
- Caloundra Community Centre in Sunshine Coast and Hinterland
(Facebook page here)
- Recovered Futures Queensland in the Wide Bay Maryborough area
- North Burnett Community Services in the Wide Bay North Burnett region
Alliance for Suicide Prevention - Sunshine Coast
Our region is home to a world-class research institute with a dedicated branch on researching suicide prevention strategies, which also includes the roll-out of community-based activities and opportunities. Our PHN is a proud member of the Alliance for Suicide Prevention for the Sunshine Coast. Find out more here.
Stepped Care - Suicide Prevention Aftercare services
For support after a suicide attempt or crisis, our stepped care providers offer non-clinical, assertive outreach, follow-up care and practical supports to individuals directly after a suicide attempt or crisis. Find out more here.
QPR Online Gatekeeper Training
This free one hour training provides:
- Knowledge and skills to identify warning signs that someone may be suicidal
- Confidence to talk to them about suicidal thoughts
- Connect them with professional care
Enter organisation code: SCPHN to activate your account.
National Suicide Prevention Trial
In 2017, CCQ was announced as one of 12 National Suicide Prevention Trial sites, bringing significant resources, activity, and funding to areas of need in the region.
The trial uses the Black Dog Institute’s LifeSpan model which is a systems-based approach to the delivery of suicide prevention services, targeting at-risk populations identified at a local level through existing needs assessments and an audit completed by the Black Dog Institute.
- Adult males (30-59 years)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders males
Trial site locations
- North Burnett: Gayndah, Mount Perry, Biggenden, Monto, Mundubbera, Eidsvold
- Gympie and surrounds (Tin Can Bay, Imbil, Cooloola Coast and Kilkivan)
- Each trial site will run from 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2021, following the Department of Health’s announcements of Trial extension.
PH: (07) 5456 8100
- Mindframe's Australian Bureau of Statistics snapshots
- Black Dog Institute
- Integrating Integrated Suicide Prevention in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities - A Guide for Primary Health Networks
- Indigenous Governance for Suicide Prevention in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities - A Guide for Primary Health Networks